Tuesday, April 10, 2007

Updates, but sadly no Dates

Today I was introduced to the head of Training and Management, whom I had heard of, but never met. We shook hands, and she politely explained that she was surprised we'd never met considering I have such a reputation. This surprised me too: apparently I have a reputation!
In other news, I've made tentative plans to attend a show in Atlanta this summer. My friends J and La have bought tickets for us, along with my friend Q, and it promises to be quite the excursion. It's the largest show before finals, which are in Pasadena this August. Of course a trip to SoCal is more tantalizing, as girls in bikinis are, in general, more appealing than the streets of ATL (I've been warned not to disrespect the ATL, so I should note that I mean no offense). Tripping to California does also mean another few thousand miles of road, effectively making it impossible to travel to those sandy beaches. Ahh I can smell the suntan lotion slowly slipping away...

Q called me this morning, inquiring as to my preference of hotel, my proposed budget, my method of transportation to and from the show, and then, as an afterthought, when we actually wanted to go. I recommended that we look at the DCI website for the date of the show, and try to shoot for something around then.

Lastly, my vision care provider has been, shall we say less than adequate. Let me clarify this: my contacts are of the "leave them in for a month, then toss them" variety, with cautions against leaving them in for periods lengthier than 30 days. Being frugal, and contacts being expensive, I opted to stretch the life of mine for, at first a month and a half, then 2 months for the next pair, and later a 2 1/2 month span for the 3rd pair. My fourth and final pair, have been in my eyes for, I shudder to say it, 6 months. This has left my eyes in a right state, requiring me to add 10 minutes to my morning routine devoted to rubbing my eyes and blinking. March 12th I went to Pearl Vision to order a new box of Maximum Strength contacts, and was told 3-4 days was all it would take before I could sleep in an extra few minutes every morning. A week later I went in, having recieved no phone call, and was told that it was actually 5-7 days for contacts, and I would just have to be patient. 3 days later they were still not in. I went in every 5 days or so just to check, but every time was told to be patient, as it often took more time for lenses with a prescription of my strength.
It has been almost 4 weeks since I ordered them.

They are still not in.

4 comments:

Dagromm said...

I stretch the durability of my contacts too, but I advise leaving any pair in for more than a week no matter what they say. I used to do it way back when, but I finally had to stop when the Dr. said I had stuff growing on my eyeballs. FYI, it's not good to have "stuff" growing on any part of your body especially a part that includes the word balls. So, long story short I didn't wear contacts for a few years and I'm a good boy now.

polio said...

or i could take the wussy way out and get laser surgery.

plug said...

Nothing wussy about lasers, my boy.

Q said...

I honestly don't remember calling you. Sorry...