Saturday, June 9, 2007

Interview

The story of my interview, which took place Tuesday, begins at Macy's. I had been looking forward with nervous excitement to this for a while, but after a few weeks of mentally preparing myself for an interview in front of 25 people twice my age, I had only one base left to cover: fashion.

Last week I drove to work only to realize in the parking lot that I had forgotten shoes. This presented a problem, as I live an hour away from work, so I called my boss, told him I had had a "bathroom emergency," and ran to Shoe Carnival. I dashed through the aisles and found a pair of Diesel-esque brown suede shoes which I thought looked good, and bought them. My boss had no problem, and was relieved to find that I had not pooped in my pants.

With a good pair of shoes in hand, a pair of dark khaki pants, and socks, I went to Macy's to find the rest of my ensemble. Two of my close friends work in the jewelry department, so I started off by asking them for advice. My boss suggested a polo, so I stuck with that, but it took us about 2 hours to decide on what color would be best. 2 hours later we decided on... black.

By this time it was 8:30, and the mall closed at 9, so I scurried over to Express and picked out a black polo, went to the GAP to buy a kelly green T to wear underneath, and then went back to Macy's, since we'd decided that my pants were to dark, and I required a lighter khaki.

(Author's note: This reminds me of a date I went on Freshman year of college when I spent an hour and a half doing my nails, only to look at the clock and realize I had no time for a shower. Needless to say we did not go out again.)

I looked exceedingly dapper on the morning of the 5th, and came into the meeting with a professional smile and a strong shaking hand. We sat down at 7:30 to discuss business, beginning with reports and goals for next period, and went through our agenda with molasses-like speed. Perhaps it was the president of the company sitting to my left that made time pass so slowly, or maybe it was the amount of Squirt I had consumed coupled with my lack of undergarments that put me on edge, but by the time it was my turn to speak I could swear they had turned down the house lights and fixed a spot on me.

I was introduced by my manager, and then left alone at the head of the table. I took questions for about 15 minutes (only fifteen?!!? no way, it must have been 3,748,262,995), and was stopped halfway through by the president saying that he would just like to say that I was doing impressively well: I was looking everyone in the eye, standing tall and confident, and was giving well thought-out and to-the-point answers. Whew, my first breath in ages.

Afterwards, my boss talked with the payroll lady, and confirmed that my salaried position would begin the next day, talked with the head of training to confirm that I would begin the training class on June 18th, and then talked with me to confirm that I "f***ing killed it!"

To celebrate, I treated myself to something I've wanted to do for a while now, but hadn't taken the plunge: I got tatoos. Two to be exact. There are now two sets of eighth notes, one on each arm, with the left having crescent moons as note heads, and the right having flaming suns as heads. I go back in about 2 weeks to add a staff (treble clef on the right arm, bass on the left) that wraps around and under the big notes. If anyone's interested, I'll post pics when I get a camera working.

3 comments:

plug said...

Pictures. Please.

I knew you'd kick ass at your interview. Congratulations! Done any more thinking about moving closer to work?? ?

LIT said...

Well done on the interview! So, is this going to accompany course work or is it in lieu of?

Have you read John Irving's Until I Find You?

Take care that that drive doesn't eat up your funds and your car. Love to you too!

polio said...

plug- soon. yes and no: I know i don't want to give up my place here, and i don't think i can afford the place in Canterbury. I'm gonna try and find a room to sublet in someone else's place, but that's prolly not gonna be possible until the fall. in the meantime i can stay with maria during the summer, and since i'll only be there 2ish nights a week (and alex will inevitably be there too) i shouldn't wear out any welcome.

lit- for the moment in lieu of. i might be able to find time for an online class in the spring, but that costs money, money i'm trying to save for full-time school.
yes, as a matter of fact that's where the idea for the music staff came from: i can fill in notes every so often, for whatever reasons, for the rest of my life. I don't, however, want to be like jack's father and get them from head to toe. ew.