Saturday, September 22, 2007

7 Minutes in Heaven


I woke up this morning feeling productive, so I hauled out of bed and got a haircut. On the North end of town there's a place called the Regency Beauty Insititute. Or rather, Heaven. Never before have I seen an institution so dedicated to educating none but the finest of the fine. Not only were the beauty students hot, but the teachers were hot, the receptionists were hot, and the clients getting they're hair done were hot. On top of all this, the girlfriend came with me to make sure I didn't walk out with a purple mohawk.

Now this all started off great, and it got even better when my hairstylist came out to introduce herself. "Hi my name's Kayla and I wanna say thanks for being part of my educational experience today."
Unhh.
The fun ended here, though. Kayla was sweet, and nothing if not terribly cute and nice to boot, but her defining feature was her nerves. I don't blame the girl, she had to do my hair with 2 instructors watching over her shoulder, and judging by the way they talked to her, she hadn't had much previous success with guy's hair. Still, even after nicking her fingers with the scissors twice, she kept at it.
In an effort to keep things light, I tried to loosen her up with some friendly conversation. I had to walk a fine line, since Bonita was right there watching, and I didn't want her to think I was hitting on the beauty student, but I did my best. We discussed beauty school, and our common desire to open up our own stores (different types of stores of course), and I think once we began talking it went much smoother. There was a little 3 year old girl in the chair next to mine getting her hair curled who was talking up a storm, and when Kayla looked over at her and said "Aww your hair looks so cute!" I coyly quipped "Why thank you!" and earned my first deathglare of the day.

It's true I deserved that one, but I plead not guilty on the second. When we had finished, I moved to get up and suddenly remembered that it was customary to tip a haircutter, and reached for my wallet. I only had a ten, so, feeling generous, I gave Kayla the ten, smiled, and left. Bonita was not a fan of the tip.

See this is where I have problems. I used to work for tips, so I always tip on the high side for good service (especially the kind of service where they rub their boobs on you when they trim your sideburns). I've caught flakk for this before, but I guess it's a lasting habit that's hard to break. I tried to explain to her that tipping is just a soft spot for me, and that it could have been a 400 lb sweaty man and I still would have tipped high, so long as he pressed his boobs on me, but she just wouldn't hear it. Women.

12 comments:

Chillax said...

As long as you didn't actually touch the gal when you slid the tenner into her g-string, I think your girlfriend is way out of line.

Oh, and I think your Uncle Dags would tell you that you get the optimum service if you tip in singles as you go along rather than waiting till the end and giving a larger tip.

Dagromm said...

Your Uncle Dags is rpoud of you for getting your girlfriend to go with you to one of those places. I've never had the nerve to do that. What? "Salon" really did mean salon?.......Oh.....well.....uhmm....that's what I thought it meant.

Just be careful that you never mention that a girl has a "stripper body" to Bonita. It's awkward when you're asked to define what that means.

jaz said...

dagromm--surely you are referring to her adept use of chemicals when starting to refinish furniture, right?

Dagromm said...

jaz - Where were you when I needed you?

polio said...

in Illinois refinishing furniture I'm guessing

plug said...

"Refinishing furniture" - is that like "cleaning your rifle?"

jaz said...

No, plug, it is more like cleaning your gun. Don't you remember--

this is your rifle
this is your gun
one is for work
the other for fun

Easel said...

Paul- we're at boob-grazing now...tsk, tsk...
Hey- do you know how to get my comment thing up again- cause now it won't show the "0 comments" or whatever. It's just blank and I don't know what happened to it! UGH!

Chillax said...

Easel - check with Rake about the first rule of the blogosphere.

LIT said...

Now I can't get the phrase
Tips for Tits
out of my head.

BTW, Happy Birthday! Going in for a trim on your hair to celebrate the day?

polio said...

lit- no, but i'm getting my tattos finished tomorrow to celebrate the day

Goo said...

Feliz cumpleanos! Un mil de besos!!!